How will Nansen support your child through transition?
When a child with special educational needs start at Nansen, we:
- Meet with them and their parents to ask and answer questions about their needs;
- If necessary, provide a transition book with photos and information about their new school;
- Arrange visits to the school and any workshops that are appropriate prior to their start date.
When a child with special educational needs moves into a new class at Nansen, we:
- Can give the child a transition book so they have information and pictures about their new classroom and teachers;
- Talk to the child and their family about any changes and how to support at home;
- Introduce the child to their new class and teacher well before their transition.
- Transition meetings with parents and outside agencies.
- One-page profiles created with the children, teachers and parents.
When a child with special educational needs leaves Nansen in Year 6, we:
- Work with the child’s new school to make sure they have a transition which is as easy as possible for them;
- Talk to key staff at the new school about the child’s needs and hold a review meeting if needed;
- Help to arrange visits to the new school if required and appropriate to do so.