- All children at Nansen Primary School will learn to read with accuracy and fluency, regardless of their background, needs or abilities.
- All pupils will successfully pass the phonics screening check ensuring that all children have learnt phonic decoding to the expected standard.
- Daily RWI in Reception and Year 1.
- 1 to 1 tutoring targeting unique gaps in the lowest, slowest progress children (Years R to 4).
- Coaching for all reading tutors, delivered daily, by the reading leader.
- Masterclass coaching sessions, delivered weekly, by the reading leader.
- Development days with RWI consultant – monthly/half termly.
- Half termly assessments to assess children’s phonics and reading ability.
- Year 1 PSC assessments (Nov, Feb, May)
- Story time (daily) to embed pleasure for read and a love of books across the whole school.
- All pupils including the weakest readers make sufficient progress to meet or exceed ARE. (See RWI expectations grid).
- Improved quality of the teaching of Phonics and reading by all adults (evidence through coaching, LWs, observations, development days and assessments/data)
- Increase in the % of children who achieve ‘expected’ in the Reading and Writing ELGs at the end of the Reception year.
- Increase in the % of children who pass the Year 1 Phonics Screening Check.
- Increase in the % of the Year 2 children who re-take the Year 1 Phonics Screening Check.
- Increase in the % of children achieving ARE in Reading and Writing at the end of Key Stage 1.